Although it may not be a pleasant topic, it is essential to consider what your family will need to do in the event of your death or incapacitation. Estate planning can be a daunting task for many, but with the help of an experienced estate planning lawyer in North Virginia, you don’t have to do it alone.
What Is Estate Planning?
Contrary to popular belief, having an estate does not necessarily mean being extremely wealthy. In reality, almost everyone has an estate. Estates consist of everything a person owns, including their home, other real estate, car, checking and savings accounts, life insurance, investments, personal possessions, and even furniture.
As a result, estate planning refers to the process of making a plan in advance, naming individuals or entities you want to receive the things you have after you pass away, and taking steps now, so your loved ones can ensure your last wishes are carried out.
What Does a Northern Virginia Estate Planning Attorney Do?
In Northern Virginia, estate planning lawyers work with their clients and other professionals to develop a customized estate plan that meets their client’s needs.
Depending on the circumstances, these attorneys can:
- Prepare a Last Will and Testament or other estate planning document
- Help identify beneficiaries
- Prepare instructions for your financial affairs and long-term care if you become incapacitated before you pass away
- Help ensure your business will be transferred at your retirement, incapacity, disability, or death
- Help establish a power of attorney (POA)
- Determine the best type of trust for your needs and ensure the trust will protect your assets until they pass on to your loved ones
- Determine ways to avoid the probate process
- Name a guardian for your minor children
- Figure out how you can provide for loved ones that have special needs without disqualifying them from certain government benefits
- Determine the best ways to minimize taxes, unnecessary legal fees, and courts costs
- Provide you with legal advice and support as you are going through this process
- Offer you insight into the laws that can affect your estate plan
However, if you want to learn more about how an estate planning attorney can assist you, consider going over your questions with a knowledgeable Northern Virginia estate planning lawyer today.
Contact Ardent Guardian Today To Learn More About Estate Planning
At Ardent Guardian, it is our goal to put our clients first. For these reasons, we will do more than just provide you with general legal help when it comes to your estate plan. Instead, we can provide you with specific packages tailored to exactly what you need at prices that work for you.
Some of the services we provide include the following:
- Trust accounting
- Estate and trust administration help
- Court accounting
- Trustee services
For further information about any of these services, or if you would like to discuss your estate planning question with a knowledgeable Northern Virginia estate planning lawyer, contact Ardent Guardian today to schedule a consultation with our team.